View Single Post
Old 03-08-2019, 05:16 AM
Snooze2978

Default Pat Speth's Millenium Star Finished

Decided I wanted to sleep under a quilt instead of my sleeping bag at my quilt retreats so got started going thru my patterns and found this one in one of my books by Pat Speth. I've used a couple other of her patterns and liked them for using up scraps and pre-cuts. So out came my 5.0" and 10.0" pre-cuts and 2.5 scraps that had enough to make 4 sets. Then I decided this was a great time to use my Iowa ShopHop fabrics I picked up a couple years ago so used the black in the corners of my blocks as well as my border. The white went towards my background. Also used these 2 fabrics to make up my backing since I had so much of it. Then I found in my striped fabrics a little stripe with most all the colors in it that would be in my quilt to use for my sashing and binding. Finished putting on the binding using a decorative stitch on my machine. I stitched it from the back and brought it to the front but I think I like it better stitching it to the front and wrapping it to the back but that's just me. Anyway, tried some SITD along the sashing and border for a 1st time using Monopoly thread in smoke from Superior so another 1st for me. Used an E2E pattern with hearts on it and found in my stash of patterns a border design with hearts on it too. Still learning on my IQ so made some mistakes but this is just an utility quilt for myself so wasn't going to worry too much about it. I even mitered my sashing and border so the stripes would come together just right. Learned that trick from Jinny Beyer, she has a video on it. My miter isn't perfect but close enough for govt. work. The quilt came out 72 x 97 with 12.0 blocks.
Attached Thumbnails millenium-star-finished.jpg   mitered-corner.jpg   border-sash-patterns.jpg   backside-e2e-used.jpg