View Single Post
Old 03-11-2019, 07:12 AM
Iceblossom

I'm finishing up the border units for the Not Quite Y2K project.

The blocks finish 10" and the border is 3 rows of the (finished) 2" squares. I've mentioned before that I try to keep like-sized pieces together and don't like putting together long unwieldy rows on edges. Since the math works out to the seam lines and I have no whole cloth borders, I'll be putting on the border units to the side/top/bottom units first and then putting the whole quilt together which includes the borders as columns. A picture is worth a 1000 words, but I'm not quite ready to take that shot yet.

Today I have to press the last seam of the 9-patch units, then combine the 3x3 9-patch units with the 2x3 units to make the 10" block size. Depending on how much I do today, for my small group tomorrow I'll either be taking border units to pin together or if I push myself a bit more I'll have the completed units and pin them to squares.

One of the small group ladies is doing a log cabin in very low contrast pale fabrics. We've been able to help her with what she is calling dark and medium, but she's a bit light on the whites. I grabbed my stack of white-on-white to bring to group along with a couple more really pale fabrics, but I think she is going to be gone tomorrow and not back until next time. That's ok, because for my next quilt I need to whack off 42 WoF 2.5" strips from those same white-on-whites, as well as 42 purple strips.

That's the next one coming up, in my head I'm just calling it the purple quilt. Again, all out of stash.

I did make a couple of enabling buys for other quilters On the way home from bowling Sunday I found a really nice piece of flannel at the Goodwill for the hostess of my Tuesday group, she makes premie donation quilts and they require flannel for the back. Nice print, high quality, enough for two of the premie quilts with some scaps left over for $1.99. Last week she gave me a bunch of the flannel trims to send to someone (just as she'll give what's left of this one). At a different Goodwill I found two bags on tag day (half price) of large pieces of flannel scraps for a total of $3.99, I think mostly FQs with some smaller that I will include in the flannel box.