View Single Post
Old 03-13-2019, 06:28 AM
Batik 54

If you lost money, you need to look at why you lost money. If you can't see a solution to that problem then there really is no choice accept to change.

Quilt Shows are how our guild makes their money for higher priced speakers and we have a show every 2 years. We have $30 dues. We have a large group about 120 with about 60 to 80 coming to each meeting. Our size makes it hard to find places inexpensive places to meet and big speakers creates a need for larger amounts of cash needed. Everyone is great about working on the show, but wanting to be in charge of committees is always difficult. Our show usually has 250 + quilts, vendors, bed turning, bazaar, trash and treasures, raffle quilt, etc. The last couple of shows we have had the same chairman with different people helping her. I have done the entries, (I am good at spreadsheets) and once those 2 positions are filled everyone else falls into place. These positions are usually filled by people still working. I think the problem is that many people feel the committee chairs are overwhelming and since they are retired they don't want to turn down something they want to do for something they have to do.

Our problem for the next show is going to be that our program chairman has not gotten good programs and has paid too much for poor programs. As a result our membership is way down. I feel that is really going to effect the willingness of members in the future to do the big quilt show. I can see us being in the no quilt show phase this next go around for the quilt show.
Someone mentioned above, maybe the lure of attending and having local quilt show is fading. The interesting thing is our local civic arts center is currently having a fiber show (a small quilt show). I know this because I was asked at a local fundraiser if I knew where to get the mechanism to hang quilts. Interesting discussion.