View Single Post
Old 03-13-2019, 08:29 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sidestiches View Post
Not really wanting full time quilting, but would like to take on some simple edge to edge stuff as we learn the machine. Thinking of getting a Nolting with Intelliquilter.

Thanks for any advice.
My advice is to be very upfront and transparent about the fact you are learning. When I first started I offered a steep discount because I was learning (basically the price of thread). I liken it to going to the cosmetology school to get a haircut super inexpensive because I am the students guinea pig. Many newbee longarmers won't even quilt for pay until they feel they are experienced enough and they will do volunteer quilting instead for groups like QOV or guild charity projects.

My other advice is communication. Always be in communication with your client, especially if there is an issue or a problem. Don't assume anything, ask the customer how they wish to proceed if you have a problem. Make sure you are both on the same page when it comes to thread choice (color, fiber and weight of thread), design used, interpretation of density of quilting (what I think is dense quilting may not be what my customer thinks is dense quilting) and type of batting.