View Single Post
Old 03-14-2019, 09:20 AM
JENNR8R

Default Jackleg Chenille "Carpet" Bag

I can never find a purse that I like. For decades I have wanted to be able to design my own. I even tried taking a bag-making class to see if I could figure out how they are put together... nope, that was just as successful as making clothes... which was not successful at all!

I want a bag that stands up, is not too tall (or wide or deep), has lots of compartments, and opens wide at the top so I can find my stuff without blindly feeling around the inside and ultimately emptying the bag of its contents.

The chenille fabric that I made this bag from was on the free table at the local guild. I decided to try to make a bag from it. I already had all of the parts so I made this up as I went along.

It's 11"L x 6"W x 9.5"H

I put in a bunch of pockets. There are two that fit my pens, one with a lanyard to attach my keys, one to hold my glasses, etc. I glued some fabric to one side of foam-core board and stuck it in the bottom. For a closure I sewed on some Velcro to the inside top. The handles were stolen from a purse from Goodwill. Inside I put three clear-plastic-zippered makeup bags to organize my stuff.

...and the only thing it cost me was a broken sewing machine trying to sew through a bunch of layers! LOL! Oh well... it's the size I want anyway.
Attached Thumbnails chenille-bag-1.jpg   chenille-bag-2.jpg   chenille-bag-3.jpg   chenille-bag-4.jpg