View Single Post
Old 03-15-2019, 11:35 AM
IrishMom

I'm participating in the red-White-Blue swap on these boards. I have two of my blocks done and need to plan out my other blocks. Last night I went to our local Quilter's Guild Meeting for the first time. I was in shock! They had so many cool activities and areas to join. Our small town does not have a quilting store, just a JoAnns. I was expecting to walk into a room with maybe 15 to 20 ladies, nope. At least a hundred! Tons of food, door prizes, raffles, library of quilt books, vendor selling quilt holders and other accessories. My head was spinning as they were talking about their retreat coming up, their nationally known quilter coming to do a two day class in June, community quilts, etc. etc., etc. I've always felt "alone" in my quilting since none of my sisters, my mom, or friends do it. And everyone was super friendly. And they were clearing out fabric so after I paid my dues I wandered over and got a bag of fun scraps.

So how many of you belong to Guilds in "Real Life"? I'm not sure what I am looking for from it yet. I have learned so much and have loved doing the swaps here. It'll be interesting to see what is "highlighted" each month. Last month they learned "Folding Quilt Blocks" (a flying geese and pinwheel pattern) and many brought in their samples this month. They looked cool, but I don't think I would want to make them - -it used more fabric and I was wondering if it would get caught under my foot when quilting. But neat to see. This meeting they had a four foot replica of a needle and went through all the parts and why they work the way they do. Kind of cool. Honestly I didn't know there were so many parts and angles doing what they do cause I can hardly see the eye!