View Single Post
Old 03-17-2019, 10:02 PM
JJBlaine

Years ago, I took a lot of classes either to learn a technique, because the instructor was a well known quilter I wanted to learn from, or because a quilting buddy wanted company. As a result, I ended up with a shameful amount of UFOs that I really wasn't all that interested in finishing to begin with--over 60. Then I took almost 10 years away from quilting, so the UFOs sat in boxes all that time.

When I got my quilting mojo back about 1-1/2 years ago, I decided I wanted to use what I have, and not just buy fabric or start projects willy-nilly. So I started with projects from the UFO bin. I finished up about 6 last year.

But still, the bins filled with UFOs were overwhelming. I tried forcing myself to work on projects I was no longer thrilled about, until I started to feel my quilting mojo slipping away. Thanks mostly to this board, I realized quilting is supposed to be fun, I don't have to finish every project I started. I also decided to get over my fear of FMQ- a quilt with mediocre quilting is better than an unquilted floppy!

So, I decided to tackle all the UFOs bins once and for all. Over the course of a month, I went and pulled out 2-3 UFOs each day, and decided their fate. I picked the ones that sparked my creativity to keep. One was graciously hand embroidered by another member of this board. The rest I tossed if damaged or gave away. I feel so much better.

My current UFO list is at 22, plus 4 WIPs. 7 are tops have been completed and need to be quilted, one is my "forever" project (a hand pieced and hand quilted Dear Jane). Only one UFO is a project that is less than 2 years old, and only because I set it aside to make baby things for my freshly-arrived first grandson.

It is still more than I would like--my goal is to be able to fit all of my stash and UFO's/WIPs into a single bookshelf. But I have a plan and I am making progress!