Thread: Singer 15-91
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2019, 06:26 AM
bkay

I think I paid less $50.00 for my second one. I bought it at auction and did not go for a preview. I wanted the 65 cabinet, as it was light oak. Turns out that the cabinet was trash, but the machine was perfect.

However, my mom's 15-91 needs to be rewired. It was in storage for several years and the wiring between the plug and the motor is semi-melted. I've not yet gotten up the nerve to tackle it. Be sure to check that, as I think the wiring is do-able for a novice, but not easy, unless you are really handy with a screwdriver.

All that to say, I don't believe I'd pay $80.00 for a machine if it needed rewiring. Unless you have a case or cabinet you like, consider the time, effort and cost to repair the cabinet or find a replacement.

I believe you can find a 15-91 in good condition and in a serviceable cabinet for $150.00 or less, at least around here. If your $80.00 machine meets your criteria, is in good condition and has a decent cabinet, jump on it.

jmho

bkay

edit: Rewiring the original plug from the machine to the wall is a piece of cake. You can also buy replacements.

Last edited by bkay; 03-19-2019 at 06:29 AM. Reason: add a thought