View Single Post
Old 03-23-2019, 08:36 AM
Iceblossom

Well hubby went back to work on Thursday, so yesterday I stripped the bed and washed all the germy sheets and pillow cases and remade it. Still have a blanket or two left to wash, but I did layout the Not Quite Y2K quilt border units and have pinned those to their appropriate blocks. Haven't started stitching it together yet, but after a week of the hubby home I did make progress yesterday, yay me!

Also prewashed and ironed a bunch of fabrics yesterday, I don't always think to do it but typically I like to throw in a couple of fat quarters or whatever with the regular color sortings. Last summer (well before I joined the fabric moratorium this year!!) I bought about 50 pounds of fabric from an estate sale, been chipping away at using and washing those, almost done now.

Went out the other day after my last post with retail therapy on my mind but the thrift stores were kind and didn't tempt me too much. I did get two pieces of yardage, both $4.99 each. One was a bold Cranston diagonal stripe that I'm pretty sure I made a top out of back in the late 70s/early 80s, might have been another fabric from the same collection. I think it would make a great back or maybe borders for one of the ladies in my small group, I'll offer it to her and otherwise it will go in my "pieces big enough for a back" stash -- which is the smallest collection I have.

I wasn't sure on the other piece but when I got home it failed the burned test, I think just a small amount of poly in the fibers -- enough to make the burned edge crisp but not have those little balls of melted plastic so maybe 10%. It's a huge piece of yardage, narrow stripes with a large floral and striped border print. I really like using those border prints as backs (and I really liked them in dresses back in the early 80s or so, it was sort of a retro look with those shirtwaist dresses with the full skirts). The first two feet or so of the fabric has a printing error but the rest of it seems fine. According to the original stickers still on it, there should be about 8 yards and at some point it was tagged/sold at Kmart for $1.39. Usually I give the poly blends back to the thrift stores but I think it will be wide enough for the not quite Y2K quilt and I rather like it. I think with a super thin batt and just basically utility quilting to hold down the blocks it will be a good summer weight quilt.

The Daisy Kingdom bunny fabric scraps turned out to work well as 10" finished squares, which doesn't work well with 9-patches but does with 16-patches or other alternatives. I have cut (12) 10.5 squares and have enough yardage and scraps to have options which could include another set of rows/columns, borders, or sashing. I pulled out a bunch of coordinating "reads as solids" in those Easter pastel colors. Currently thinking of alternating star blocks with snowball blocks and deciding between each ray of a LeMoyne Star a different print or just a basic Ohio type star of one fabric per block. I thought about pinwheels or broken dishes but really want to cut the corner off the large blocks to make them as snowballs and that isn't working as well as stars.

My own Easter quilt is one of my unquilted tops. It is bright solids made into pieced baskets with that large floral sort of turquoise egg print with the gold embellishments inside the baskets and alternating squares. I'm really trying to not make this one have baskets in the alternate block but I may give in... I have a woven rattan looking fabric that would make great baskets and since there is a grandchild coming maybe I should go ahead and plan on keeping this one for them.