Old 03-26-2019, 06:36 AM
pinkflowers

Default Solids -What is best brand for sewing 1.5" squares?

I am planning a quilt for my son. He requested a Nintendo Zelda quilt using the games images that are made of pixels. I designed the blocks (18 x 18") in EQ8.

I purchased all the fabric in the solid colors needed. I planned to use all Kona solids. But after making one block with Kona - I'm not sure Kona was the best choice. I love Kona - the color choices and "stoutness" of the fabric, but this project may need a thinner fabric.

I bought the red, white, and black Kona fabrics at JoAnn. The black seems to be literally shedding away at the edges. All other colors I got at MSQC online. I only used the Cheddar of those, and it didn't seem too bad.

I'm wondering what other manufacture(s) would be a better choice.

My closest LQS carries Wilmington solids, which felt okay, but they only had a handful of colors.

Does any one have any thoughts about American Made or Moda Bella solids, or other suggestions?

I need about 20 different colors, in a thin, good quality fabric. I don't mind mixing manufacturers to get the color I need, as long as the fabrics are of similar weight/feel/look.

Attached is one of the blocks I made in EQ8 (a sack of magic dust).
Attached Thumbnails magic-powder.jpg