View Single Post
Old 03-27-2019, 09:20 PM
themadpatter

OK, my HO is... what they said. I'm learning about color theory and Light/ medium/ dark values as I go. I wanted to make the 1958 Kansas City Star Dogwood blossoms quilt after I saw an unfinished top in an auction. Still wish I'd bought it, lol. So, I made the first block when I was puzzling out the pattern, and then I found the pattern in a book.

Here's a pic of that first block, so you can see what I'm talking about.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]610865[/ATTACH]
Ok, good, pattern settled, on to fabric. Ohhh, that's a whole new hurdle. I decided if I made the whole quilt in only 2 colors, I'd get sick of sewing it, and probably end up with 2 colors I didn't want to see every day, because this is going to be a quilt for me, me, me! I bought a big lot of fabric at a local thrift store that was mostly 6 1/2" by WOF pieces, in a bunch of related fabrics. So, I've been making blocks in those fabrics, trying to chose ones that go nicely together, but provide enough contrast to show the pattern. So, some of the blocks are a light and a dark of the same color, like the lavender and purple one. Others are a print where the main color is dark, with the print in a lighter color, like the brown and blue one. It's going to be hard to get a yellow block that doesn't jump out of the quilt and smack the viewer upside da head, but I'm going to try. So, this is how I'm using my stash to learn about color theory.

Here's the current pic of the blocks I have finished so far:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]610868[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails mystery-block.jpg   3-3.jpg