View Single Post
Old 04-05-2019, 07:07 AM
Iceblossom

I rather like the idea of those enders... but I'm not going to succumb! I have gotten myself happy with the idea of not saving anything smaller than 6.5". As part of that I have filled up an entire medium size flat rate box with nothing but 2.5" strips and squares that were in my stash for my crumb quilter including my leftover Y2K squares. (Last month I sent out the much smaller number of 2" strips I had.) That gets them out of my "strips and squares" box so the 6.5" pieces will fit in. It's amazing all the things you can do with nothing but 2.5" cuts, but I just don't want to deal with them. I can always cut new squares! And if I do, I might borrow someone's cutting machine instead of pulling out my rulers/cutting board.

I also have some fabric going to someone on Missing Fabrics this week.

Historically it's been hard on me to use up/give away those last bits of fabric, but over the last 5 years or so I've decided that the "right" project to use them is whatever project I'm working on. I have a little memory ceremony about the quilt/project they were for or the person, use it and move on. There were a couple of strips that I had a twinge about letting go, but again, I just don't want to store them so into the box they went.

Forgot to mention, my brother has retired but will be staying with my mom for awhile as he decides what to do/where to go next. Last time I went out to my mom's they had put a quilt on the guest bed I use that I had made him around 1980-81... I know I was in Alaska but I don't think I had bought my mobile home yet. He was in Maine then and cold so I made him an Alaskan warm large twin out of baby wale corduroy. Originally it was three print and three solids in browns, green and gold in a large squares (6" roughly) trip around the world. Now it looks more like 5 solids and one mottled, but it is in great shape over all. All the stitching has held up, the brown satin sheet I used for the back looks like new too.

I was called to come sign the label to the comfort quilt yesterday and was able to see the finished quilted but unbound quilt. The quilter decided on a large interlocking circle pattern as being appropriate and fast enough for our time line, I think it was an excellent choice! The atomic print sort of got lost in the small sashing but the colors (black, brown, and orangish on white) really helped tie together the quilt. We've all been a bit concerned about it looking Halloweenie with the amount of orange we used, but I think while there is definitely Orange in there, it's more earth toned than Halloween. I think when the brown binding is put on it will be lovely, even if not in my color sense -- it's not for me!

I'll try and get a picture, it will be done in time for small group on Tuesday and her lumpectomy is Thursday so I might not get a chance but I put the camera in my sewing kit. Maybe I should put in some extra batteries too because that would be my usual luck, to have the chance for the picture but no battery power.