View Single Post
Old 04-06-2019, 02:14 PM
petthefabric

yesterday, the guild had a workshop with Fern Royce on string quilts. She was very encouraging. Participants started using narrow strips in lots of different ways and fully enjoying the process.

I collected, from my stash, small pieces of fabric- smallest 8"x5". Cut into strips from 3/4" to 1 3/4" wide. Then just started sewing them together in a pleasing manner. Because I'm the program chair, I've got lots of business work to take care of and didn't have much sewing time. Still I enjoyed myself and the banter amoungst the participants. What a great way to use up small pieces.

Didn't need to buy a thing. Now afterwards, I went to the sewing machine store and bought a new machine. Turned in my "travel to class" machine as trade in....I do not collect machines. So this machine doesn't have a home in my quilt studio, it's for class/group sewing. What was needed is quilting small quilts, the harp is 9". It's metal, 26#, not light. It will stay in a travel case, just add my project. It's a brand I'm not familiar with Nicchi at ~$900. It has a table, knee lift, needle up/down, thread cutter. Decided it my birthday present to myself-yep April birthday. Can't take $ with me, so use it up and enjoy.