Old 04-10-2019, 03:05 PM
Cedarberry

Default Cleaning cast iron patch on vintage Singer

Originally Posted by Cedarberry View Post
Serial Number F8045010, can't determine if USA or UK made. I have cleaned the gunk out of interior and bottom, but now ready for topside of machine cleaning. Large patches of flaked off japanning black finish. If I clean the topside now, I understand I need to clean with sewing machine oil all over, especially the decal areas, but - is it OK to go over balded cast iron patches with sew machine oil also? Would that make the cast iron patches too oily and resistant to the black shellacking which I believe would be the next step? Am new to forum, will try to load photos. Also on the bobbin winder photo is something missing on the right hand side where the bobbin fits in? Looks like those threads are wanting something on them there. I hope the photos load.

Thankful for help and advice.
Thank you so much Miriam, pennycandy, charley26, all, for showing me a good workable direction to move toward on this, what I believe is a 127 model. Such a relief to know help is out there. Your comments are so welcome to my search for what and how to do next step. Working one step at a time, next after flaking off the existing flakes, I will just clean entire topside of machine with naptha, then evaluate for whether to paint the bed only, or shellac 'as is' the entire topside. Three further questions: 1. I am wanting to take apart and clean the tension assembly. Is that too terribly difficult to get the parts back on in order? See photo of tension assembly condition. 2. I am also wanting to take off and clean thoroughly the parts of the bobbin winder. Is that possible for a newbie without having to call 911? I'm committed to doing the work, just don't want to get in over my head, worried about putting all parts back together in proper order. 3. I want to take off balance wheel to clean thoroughly around where it attaches. Any pitfalls to be aware of? Advice super welcome!!
Attached Thumbnails black-127-bobbin-winder-resize.jpg   black-127-tension-assembly-1-resize.jpg   black-127-tension-assembly-2-resize.jpg