View Single Post
Old 04-10-2019, 07:09 PM
Allysgrandma

Hello everyone! I'm new and totally in. I am doing a No Spend Year and that includes fabric. I announced to my family I was not buying any fabric for a year and the only one who thinks I can do it is my 10 year old granddaughter. My 3 adult daughters, my son-in-laws and of course my husband all laughed like I said the funniest thing in the world.

My husband and I went on a cruise to Alaska last September for our 40th wedding anniversary. We drove up the coast of Oregon to Seattle from Northern Coastal California where I live and hit every shop on the way we could, then two in Alaska and then a few on the way home down I-5. When I got home I did not have anywhere to put it. I was so mad at myself, the same feeling I had been having when I bought new fabric. I don't need it. I have enough to last the rest of my quilting life (I'm 61). So I have been doing really well since then. I have to admit I just blew it though today. That 10 year old granddaughter of mine was the lead in Alice and an old local quilt shop owner who moved away and does on line sales, had a kit with Neverland for $22 and I caved. I am planning to give it to her for her 11th birthday.

I made two Dr. Seuss aprons for 3 year old twins, a boy and a girl, children of my middle daughter's close friend. I made not one, but two baby quilts for former coworkers who did not know the sex of their baby so I felt compelled to make a baby boy AND a baby girl quilt for them. They had a boy a week after the shower. I was too sick to go but apparently everyone loved them. They reminded me of why I am never buying minky again! I made the quilts out of Little Dickens fabric that was leftover from my first son-in-law's sister's baby girl's quilt.

Also because my husband was afraid I would be having withdrawals, he bought me a $200 gift certificate to a local quilt shop. Grrrr....... I don't want more fabric!!!

I am spending the next 10 days with my oldest daughter 6.5 hours from home and I am using it as a quilt retreat!!