View Single Post
Old 04-15-2019, 01:01 PM
bkay

I'm a novice at this, but I did it the easy way (at least for me). I picked out a point on my quilt design, which was just a simple sashed 5" charm. The inside point was the center of the 5" patch and the point where the two sashes met. The outside point matched the inside point. I used a white marking pencil to mark those two spots with dots all the way around the quilt.

I started at the outside corner and went in to the first outside corner of the first block, then to my mark on the outer edge which matched the center of the block and back into the inner edge where the two sashes met and back out to the edge that matched the center of the block. I went all the way around the quilt in that direction. When finished, I changed directions and did the same all the way around the quilt the other way crossing the previous line in the center of the border. It's a black border quilted with black thread or I'd take a photo.

I squared up the quilt before I started quilting the border. I also put my outside dots inside where the binding would attached.

It was easy. It was just a 3" border, so you may have to modify the plan to work with your 6" border and your design. The idea was to quilt from one point to another so you don't have to deal with removing all those marks. I bound it in the same black fabric that I used for the border. So, really you don't notice the quilting on the border.

It's a kid's quilt, not a show quilt which will probably get donated. I was happy with it.

bkay

Last edited by bkay; 04-15-2019 at 01:15 PM. Reason: I wrote it incorrectly