Old 02-23-2010, 01:12 PM
Bluphrog

Originally Posted by hereca622
Ladies, you are in for such a treat. Last year was the first time in 16 years that I missed the IQA Show. I was having knee problems that turned out to be gout. If I continue eating right, I should be able to go this year. May I share some hints. (1) Dress comfortable, especially shoes (2) Take short & long sleeves, because our temperature can be between 40 & 90 in the same day. (3) Take a large lightweight tote for your purchases (rolling totes are not allowed) (4) Save your money for purchases, you will want to shop, OMG, 3/4 of show is vendors. (5) Take a small camera for quilts (6) A lot of different foods are available, but the lines can be long. Don't wait until you are fainting from hunger. A water bottle and a snack in your tote will help. (7) There are chairs along the back wall for resting. (8) There is no paging, so get cell #s & plan meeting places. (9) Restrooms on front wall are down a flight of stairs, at least 3 sets across back and one in the Food Court area.
The main theme is comfort and lightweight. Your back, knees and feet will thank you.
You are going to have an awesome experience,
Helen
A couple more hints from a veteran. (1) There is valet parking, if you plan to drive. It is worth every penny not to have to walk to your car after a day on your feet. (2) You can rent a scooter from Scoot Around. If you can't stay on your feet for the whole day, it is worth every penny to rent one. I've done it for the last 3 years and it's great. There's a link on the website. (3) There are also bathrooms on the second floor. You will have to get your hand stamped at the door to get back in, then take the escalator upstairs. (4) Many of the vendors start discounting their products on Sunday afternoon, so if you can stay that late, you may be able to get some good deals. I got 7 packages of king size Warm & Natural batting for $100. (5) The Park Shops is an indoor shopping mall that is about 4 blocks from the George R. Brown Convention Center. There is a food court with several restaurants, if you don't want to eat at the GRB.