Thread: Survey scam?
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2019, 05:30 PM
quiltingcandy

Scams are so alive and well. I got a phone call recently, asked for me by name, said he was calling to finalize my Work Comp claim with the City of San Diego. Well, that was very interesting for several reasons. I did handle Work Comp claims for over 30 years but I never worked for the City of San Diego. So I asked what injury were they referring to? (I have not filed any W/C claim.) It was so amusing to me that I kept asking the guy questions. and with each answer it got funnier and funnier, so I was laughing and he said he would cancel my claim if I didn't settle it right now. Finally I told him he made several errors - #1 being I never worked for the City of San Diego. Then he asked if I had never filed the claim how did he know my name and phone number - told him I had no idea because the phone number was less that 60 days old and he said I put it on the claim form over a year ago. I wanted to tell him that you can't settle a W/C injury in CA without the approval of a Judge but I didn't want to give him any credible information to use in future scams.
I think he called back the next day because my DH answered the phone and someone asked for me using the wrong middle name and said he had talked with me before. My DH said he must have the wrong # because there was no one here with that name. The guy got rather inisistent and I hear my DH say, "I have been married to the woman in the house for over 45 years, I know what her name is and it isn't that." He then hung up and we had a good laugh.
We did change our phone land line about 2 months ago - we have not given it to anyone except family in case of an emergency. So when the phone rings we are 99% sure it's not something we need to answer.