View Single Post
Old 04-23-2019, 06:34 AM
AnInspiredMess

Thank you so much for the feedback/links on this White model / rotary motor machines. I figured it was a 43 as the serial number started with "43". I have a White 77 just purchased this past weekend (when it rains it pours!) but the rubber motor drive pulley looks different. Will need to make sure I get the right ones to fit each machine - thank you for the feedback OurWorkbench - each of my Whites have flat tires!
Okay - for cleaning up this gal - I totally winged it, based on info found on this forum. So many different opinions and products, I have to say, I became a little overwhelmed and confused, as a vintage-machine-cleaner-rookie! Figured I wouldn't really know what to do until I tried methods/products myself.
After brushing off pounds of dust and eliminating multiple life stages of spiders(!), I got rid of gunked up oil and grime with Hoppes #9. Was this a bad move? I remember reading about it on this forum but questioned if I should use it to de-gunk the metal. Regardless, it worked like a charm - hope I didn't do any damage. Note: put the cap on when not using as it can end up on kitchen floor. Super aromatic (solvent) kitchen yet today!
Metal polish - Noxon (found at my local ACE Hardware); worked well!
Oil - Tri Flow on most spots, sewing machine oil on a few *is that the proper use of Tri-Flow? Again - got confused when/where to use it.
Surface cleaning- a bit of sewing machine oil, then wiped it off really well with cotton rag. I know not all crinkle finish owners agree with that method, but it worked for me.
Motor: didn't take it apart - going to see how it runs when I get a pulley. Mistake? Should I disassemble and clean it out?

Funny how some people love the crinkle finish machines and others think they're just ugly! ha. I really love them. It's a welcome change from shiny black shellac and gold leaf - but I love those machines too! They seem a little fussier to clean, so this "Godzilla" was a good place to start. I found an online seller with a box of White 43 attachments - $20. Thought it was a good deal / nice-to-have, but with shipping it was $30. Sigh. Paid it anyway, as I would like to get this girl up and sewing - and the White attachments seem a bit specific. Moving on to needles...sounds like Singer 2020 might work?

Thanks again, everyone - so thankful for this board, forum, and vintage-loving individuals!