View Single Post
Old 04-24-2019, 11:36 AM
OurWorkbench

[QUOTE=AnInspiredMess;8244119]...I got rid of gunked up oil and grime with Hoppes #9. Was this a bad move? ....

Metal polish - Noxon (found at my local ACE Hardware); worked well!

Oil - Tri Flow on most spots, sewing machine oil on a few *is that the proper use of Tri-Flow? ...

Motor: didn't take it apart - going to see how it runs when I get a pulley. Mistake? Should I disassemble and clean it out?

...clean, so this "Godzilla" was a good place to start. I found an online seller with a box of White 43 attachments - $20. Thought it was a good deal / nice-to-have, but with shipping it was $30. Sigh. Paid it anyway, as I would like to get this girl up and sewing - and the White attachments seem a bit specific. Moving on to needles...sounds like Singer 2020 might work?

../QUOTE]

I doubt that cleaning the metal bits with Hoppes was a bad move. I've never had any to try.

Good on Noxon. I picked some up at a yard sale, but haven't tried it on a sewing machine, yet.

Tri-Flow oil can be used any where sewing machine oil can be. The Tri-Flow grease can not be used all places that Singer lubricant can. Also, Singer lubricant is different now, so now it is recommended for the motors that have grease pots, one can use petroleum jelly.

I don't mess with motors, so probably would check out when the pulley is replaced until deciding what to do. I suppose you could move the motor away from the body of the sewing machine and trying the motor.

Congratulations on the presser feet. I'm pretty sure these machine use the Singer 2020.

You did a great job on the cleanup. Thank you so much for the details.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.