View Single Post
Old 04-25-2019, 05:32 AM
Iceblossom

I did buy a couple of pieces of fabric at the thrift store while at my Mom's, but they are both destined to be sent out in fabric boxes. Found out a couple of weeks ago that my first (and probably only) grandbaby is going to be a boy. Just before that one of the sewing ladies had brought a piece of gorgeous embroidered fabric (sort of like eyelet but no holes) in tiny pink roses along with some off colors (more purple and orange) that I fell in love with. Not so appropriate or easy to use for boy, but one of the fabrics I found was sort of a stylized printed gingham in the pink and the same colors. I know the quilter I send the box to sews for some little grand nieces, and I think the two together work out great. The other piece was yardage of a wild Alexander Henry that goes very well with the bag of scraps I will be using to make the wonky 9-patches (probably next project). Will send that piece off to the crumb quilter with the reduced amount of scrap after I make the quilt. Crumbs are all well and good but sometimes you need pieces big enough for a back or at least a border and a theme or whatever.

I pinned the purple pieces until I ran out of pins. All of the block units have been pinned and about half the border units. Today's goal is to sew/unpin/press enough to at least get the borders finished pinning. I'd like to have all the units sewn and pressed by the end of the weekend, it I have a productive day it might be done today but I like easy goals

There will be no Tuesday group for me next week, Mom has a pre-surgery appt next Tuesday morning so I will go out on Monday and take her to the doctor. The actual surgery will be in a couple of weeks. She had a major back operation last year and is still having issues, this isn't as big a procedure but is still scary and lots of recovery time. I'll probably take my portable sewing machine out with me to have it there post-op. I haven't done any garment construction for close to 20 years, but I want to make some Kuspuks, summer parkas, to wear over leggings and I think this seems like a good time to do it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuspuk

Speaking of sheets, all bundled up and taped together was another piece of fabric that I thought was vintage. It looked right, (50s maybe, small geometric grey print), felt right, even smelled right but when I unrolled it I became sure it was a sheet remnant and maybe too wide for 36". Got home, did a burn test, burned like cotton. I undid some of the seams, the piece had three seams and a cut edge. None of the hems was a selvedge and they were triple turned. Still could be vintage and still be a cotton sheet...