Thread: Honeycomb Quilt
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2019, 01:53 PM
Tish05

Default Honeycomb Quilt

I finished my first quilt and I'm pretty happy with the results. I used the Honeycomb Quilt design from Anita Goodesign (medium size). It's not what you would consider a traditional quilt, but I thought people who do machine embroidery might appreciate it
I made the hexis in the hoop, with embroidery thread in the bobbin since it would show on the back, using battilizer for the stabilizer/batting. Borrowing an idea from corset making, I sewed the hexis together with the seam allowances to the front and covered them by hand with bias. The quilt is queen sized (laying on a king sized bed in the picture). All the center honeycombs are from the design files from Anita Goodesign. I used my digitizing program to adjust some of the designs so that I had some plain hexis and partials to square up the center of the quilt, then made the borders with the sewing machine and attached them to the top, like a "quilt-as-you-go". I've attached pictures of front and back. My only disappointment is that I got the hair-brained idea to make some of the backs in different colours, like you see with a real honeycomb. I guess I just don't do random very well, so I wish I had used all the same backing fabric. Thank you for looking.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]612188[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]612190[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]612189[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails honeycomb-front.jpg   honeycomb-back.jpg   honeycomb-center.jpg