View Single Post
Old 05-01-2019, 06:30 AM
Ellen 1

Your quilt is truly amazingly beautiful. (Hope I did not go overboard here). It makes me sad that the auctioneer got the bid stating so low (regardless that it was a church auction).

Here’s a tip on what I do:
When I donate a quilt for a fundraising auction I get a written appraisal (replacement value/insurance) prior to the auction. I give the appraisal with the quilt. I want the auctioneer to know the actual value of the quilt. It has been my experience that my quilts have sold for the amount of the appraisal with exception of one quilt. The “exception quilt” sold for a lesser amount, but still very reasonable.

The important thing here is that it is a “fundraising” auction and people are prepared to bid and pay a reasonable price. The auctioneer will not know the value of a quilt without the appraisal.

I will add the quilts that I have donated for auction cannot compare to this fabulous quilt!!! I am guesstimating the value of this quilt is at a minimum $1000.00 and probably closer to $2000.00. (I am not an appraiser, just a guesstimater”.........(based on my experience of quilts I have had appraised).

PS I wish I had been at the auction..... :-)

Last edited by Ellen 1; 05-01-2019 at 06:37 AM. Reason: PS