Old 05-03-2019, 02:56 PM
MarionsQuilts

Default a shout out to those who quilt on "smaller" sewing machines

I have been very fortunate in that when I dove into quilting, my first machine was a husqvarna sappire. So I started with a very decent quilting sewing machine. I have upgraded to the Brother Dreamweaver (just over a year ago), and am loving it to bits ... except when it's in the shop!

For the last three weeks my machine has been in the shop for minor repairs (just got it back tonight)

I also have a small Brother 9130 computerize quilting sewing machine. It's a fabulous little machine. Piecing is quick and easy, sews like a dream. It can even do FMQ.

What my "baby" doesn't have? Automatic threader, automatic cutter, automatic presser foot, huge throat space, the FMQ foot that I really like.

I just finished quilting a 40x40 quilt on my "baby" and I struggled with the issues I mentioned above. Granted none of them are serious, but when you are used to quilting on a bigger machine with tons of bells and whistles, it makes a huge difference!

So I wanted to a shout out to all of you quilters who still quilt from beginning to end on a "smaller" / baby sewing machine - one with smaller throat space, and one without all of the bells and whistles!

You have my utmost respect for being able to do it! In the future I will just continue to make quilt tops, and will wait until the big one comes home!