View Single Post
Old 05-08-2019, 05:41 AM
Iceblossom

Unfinished Quilt Story 3: Roman Stripe/Cousin Michelle

This quilt is pretty much a direct lift from a traditional one shown in the Pellman's book The World of Amish Quilts. I really like working with solids, always have even before my vision issues got more pronounced. I've done a number of "almost Amish" projects over the years. I also like working with dark backgrounds instead of light.

My cousin once told me that I should make more quilts in purple. Oh, I replied, is that so I could give them to you? And she shot me the big grin and the "you got it!". She has an artistic flair and does crafts herself but is more modern than dainty floral. I do love wild backs and she will appreciate the op-art flair of it.

The background color is Kona Midnight Purple. It's funny how colors react to each other but every set of stripes has at least one purple in it.

I fully intend to finish this quilt -- it nags at me constantly. I had saved it to get my skill up high enough to do what I want. I've designed a nice triangular scroll with hearts and loops and such that will be done in each half of the triangle.

I want to do a cable in the border, have a bunch of stuff ready to figure out how to fit the design in perfectly.

Right now unfinished top 20 is in process... it's another purple quilt and I'll post pictures in a week or so. A very different approach and color set made from 42 different purples in the blocks with a 43rd as a border, and about 16 different white on whites. Most of the time, even when working with solids, I'm working with scraps!
Attached Thumbnails roman-stripe.jpg   roman-corner.jpg