Thread: Home Schooling
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2019, 12:10 PM
NZquilter

I was homeschooled and my DH was too. My parents unfortunately didn't follow any set curriculum and just picked and chose books willie-nillie to study from. We lived out in the country and my parents didn't like driving us around for social stuff, so my siblings and I didn't get many friends. I feel like I didn't get the full advantage of schooling because of that approach.

My DH, on the other hand, his mother enrolled her children in a proper correspondence school and stuck to a schedule. She was willing to hire tutors to teach a subject if she couldn't. Hubby even learnt Greek and Latin! He is super nerdy about Old World history! DH had plenty of social activities, like city baseball and State archery competitions, both which he excelled in. He also joined in church activities and had responsibilities with other boys through that. He had a very wholesome homeschooling experience.

We are intending on homeschooling our own children. I will be doing it like my mother-in-law. She still has all her texts books and the correspondence school she used hasn't changed their curriculum much. Her "school" is still legal in the State of Kansas, so we will "enroll" our children in it and make me the official "principal". I intend to get my kids into 4-H and city sports for social interaction and for peer relationships.

Homeschooling is one of those things in life that it will only be what you make it be. It isn't easy, and it will always take effort. I know many homeschooling families who have given up, but I also know many who have stuck to it and their kids have gone onto college and been top of the classes.

Last edited by NZquilter; 05-08-2019 at 12:16 PM.