Thread: Home Schooling
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2019, 07:19 AM
klswift

I am 100% in favor of a public school education - But - I believe it is like a 3 legged stool dependent on student, teacher and parent working together or the stool collapses. Administration should only be there for support. You can not just drop your child off and expect great results. The child needs to know the parent is an active participant in their education (that does not require you being at the school, I understand work schedules can conflict). I went to every school event and sports event that I could and their teachers knew who I was. (I did this without being a helicopter parent.) You can sit at the table at night when they do their homework to be available If they have a question. You can read together, you can go places to learn about stuff, you can ask them actual questions about their day. Simple things such as having them figure out how much a tip should be at the restaurant is a teaching moment. I raised 4 kids and they all went to university on a variety of scholarships and assisted several other kids in their quest for education (including one who wanted to go to a trade school). but they knew I was right there to have their backs. So much more than just 'book learnin' happens at a school. They learn about how to deal with people, good and bad, they learn how to handle difficult situations and how to take care of themselves. They learn the importance of helping one another and working as a team. They learn how to cope in the world while they still have a safety net.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-09-2019 at 09:14 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps