View Single Post
Old 05-10-2019, 02:48 AM
WMUTeach

Well, you gals found some of my favorites. I can slip down to Shipshewana in about an hour from home. One shop that I enjoy and frequently stop at is in downtown Middlebury. It is Amish run and yes, they have all things that an Amish woman would need to cloth her family. Everything from buttons to garment/apron fabric to straw hats to boots etc. But they do have one whole wall of the store devoted to quilting fabric, some books and a few basic supplies. I often find wide backs there that are different, unique. The help is just right. Willing to assist but mostly just leave you alone to think, plan, and consider. They will frequently have a small selection of bolts on sale. I bought 7 yards of an Elm Creek fabric for $5 or $6 per yard and is was some of the best fabric I have ever used. This little gem of a store is right in the middle of town, near a cafe and a hardware/general store on the west side of the street. It has beautiful creaky wooden floors and smells like stores of yesteryear, all fabric, leather and just a touch of age. Wish I could remember the name of it. It is a family name not creative quilt name.