Thread: Home Schooling
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2019, 03:58 PM
cathyvv

Home schooling works for some kids. Usually success has more to do with the parents than the child being home schooled.

I have two grands who are home schooled. Their parents rarely involve the kids in outside of the home activities. One of them is, and always was, extremely shy, but did ok in school, had a few friends. Since he has been home schooled he has basically become a hermit. He does not know how to be around people he doesn't know. He is literally frozen if someone he doesn't know says hello. He's learning his lessons, but has learned nothing about surviving in the world.

His brother has Aspergers and is very bright, also sociable. He visited me to help me in November and I had to make sure he did school work. Since he respects me and KNOWS that I do not threaten, I actually do what I say I'm going to do, he got most of the work done relatively quickly. He had a science experiment to do - usually those are skipped by Mom and Dad - and remarked that it was 'kinda fun'. A writing assignment took him a total of about 2.5 hours work with me; with Mom and Dad it would be weeks, sometimes months, of prodding.

He's afraid of school because he feels he won't be accepted by the other kids. Might be true, but he's never had the opportunity to find out, or figure out how to get along.

So, while they are doing their schooling, I don't consider it a successful endeavor. What good is knowing stuff if you are frightened of the world? I think home schooling can work well for some families, though.