View Single Post
Old 05-13-2019, 03:43 AM
bearisgray
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mea12 View Post
The Singer 237 model offers straight and zig-zag..no other stitches. Not sure harp area..but its full-sized vs 3/4 sized. In a cabinet, it'd probably be great for free motion, straight or zig-zag quilting. I have been kind of looking for one of those for a few months. They are plentiful until you are looking for one.
I have several of this model. It comes in two versions - with a drop feed and without. There is a knob on the right hand side that will lower the presser feet for dropping them. Some come without it. So be aware of that.

I liked this machine well enough to buy several of them.

The following adjustments are all done manually with a lever.

Needle position - left, center, right
Zigzag width - there are "lines" - but one set for "between the lines"
Stitch length -
Forward and backward

One can also adjust the presser foot pressure with a knob on the top of the machine
And the feed dog drop - if it's available - located on the base on the right hand side

The two downsides of it that I am aware of:

It does not have an open arm.

It is heavy - between 30 and 40 pounds - not impossible to move around, but the weight of it could be an issue if you are looking for a machine that is easy to carry around for classes or if you have to put it away after each use.

I think sellers are getting to be more aware of the value of some of these older machines. Now they are frequently selling for more than $100.

Some of the older machines might also need a new tire bobbin - a very easy and inexpensive fix.

Also, one can download the instruction book in some cases.

It's a very easy to operate machine.

And yes, they do seem to be plentiful, until one is looking for one.

All my machines are "older" - but I do have a Bernina Record 930 and a Pfaff 1471 to compare it to. There are times that I actually prefer the Singer 237 to those machines. I acquired my first 237 about 15 years ago at a yard sale.

Most of them only came with an all-purpose foot - which has worked out "perfectly" for that 1/4 inch seam used for piecing.

It is a "straight-needle" as compared to a "slant-needle"

Last edited by bearisgray; 05-13-2019 at 03:59 AM.