View Single Post
Old 05-16-2019, 06:34 AM
Anael

Originally Posted by Nita View Post
I was at my local quilt shop yesterday and spoke to the staff person who will be leading the Gypsy Wife Club (at the QS) this Fall. I told her that, while I have both patterns, I was planning to make My Small World first. She sort of discouraged me from taking that approach, saying that My Small World is far more difficult than Gypsy Wife. So my quest is to ANAEL and anyone else on this Q Bd who has experience in making both of these patterns: Do you agree that Gypsy Wife is the easier pattern and that I should tackle that before My Small World? My friend Kathy (also a member of this Q Bd) and I were planning to simultaneously work on My Small World.
I'm sorry but I really have to disagree. Gypsy Wife is straight forward piecing, no appliqué, no dresdens, just blocks. But lots of ladies have lots of trouble making Gypsy Wife.
My Small World has applique but it's not difficult. It's not like you have to make a zillion flowers, just a few circles and hills. But if you want to skip those and do something else you can. I've seen a My Small World with 2 hills instead of 4.
The sky is all 1" finished pieces but if you want to do 2" finished that's fine too. If you want to make Ohio Stars you go ahead and make those. I don't do the embroidery in the sky, I don't like that.

In both quilts you can use orhpan blocks if you want to.
I think when you follow the pattern and instructions you will be fine, no matter which one you tackle first.