View Single Post
Old 05-16-2019, 06:11 PM
pennycandy

They spray the honey onto maltodextrin(the "sugar" ingredient) to make the honey powder free flowing. There can be as little as 8% honey in the honey powder. I wouldn't buy it either.

The added sugar cornbread needs to be baked at a lower temperature. The side cook too quickly at 425*F.

I follow the recipe from my cornmeal bag. Lower sugar recipe calls for 1 cup of corn meal, 1 cup of flour, 1/4 cup of sugar, 1 tablespoon baking powder, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 cup milk, 1 egg and 1/4 cup oil. Bake in an 8 x 8 pan in a 425*F oven for 20-25 minutes.

"For a sweeter, moister corn bread" Use the recipe above , increase sugar to 1/2 cup, increase oil to 1/2 cup and use two eggs. Reduce milk to 2/3 cup. Bake in 8 x8 pan at 400*F for 20-25 minutes.

I have cooked the lower sugar recipe at a lower temperature when I already had something else baking in the oven at the same time. It did take longer to bake. It's been a long time since I did that and I don't remember any other details.

Maybe your husband could compromise and eat your cornbread spread with honey butter?