View Single Post
Old 05-17-2019, 04:25 AM
Nita

Thanks, Anael. I was sort of wondering how I could "tweak" the My Small World pattern to make it less fussy and more fun. I love your suggestion about increasing size of sky blocks to finish at 2", rather than 1" ... Amen to that! as far as the hills go, I am intimidated by the hexi block (No, I don't do English paper Piecing, so any suggestions for how to get around that would be great. I'm guessing that the woman at the QS who is in charge of the Jen Kingwell Club is a "By-The-Book" type of person. I have no problem with tweaking a pattern to suit my skill set and personal preferences. That said, you have convinced me to stick with Kathy and my plan to start our "girlfriend synchronized" My Small World quilts this Fall. We'll keep y'all posted :-)

Originally Posted by Anael View Post
I'm sorry but I really have to disagree. Gypsy Wife is straight forward piecing, no appliqué, no dresdens, just blocks. But lots of ladies have lots of trouble making Gypsy Wife.
My Small World has applique but it's not difficult. It's not like you have to make a zillion flowers, just a few circles and hills. But if you want to skip those and do something else you can. I've seen a My Small World with 2 hills instead of 4.
The sky is all 1" finished pieces but if you want to do 2" finished that's fine too. If you want to make Ohio Stars you go ahead and make those. I don't do the embroidery in the sky, I don't like that.

In both quilts you can use orhpan blocks if you want to.
I think when you follow the pattern and instructions you will be fine, no matter which one you tackle first.