View Single Post
Old 05-17-2019, 06:16 AM
tropit

[QUOTE=Jmduderstadt;8253909]
Originally Posted by tropit View Post
Does anyone else out there make fermented sodas and Kombuchas? If so, what types of flavorings do you use? I've been making Kombucha for years. I like it with, or without extra flavorings. My favorite extra thing to put in it is strawberries. I've got a Ginger Bug starting now to make Blackberry soda. I want to make my own Root Beer next.

I ferment ginger ale, way better than the store-bought sugar water. I make my own yogurt and use the whey to jump start the fermenting. I'd like to ferment grape juice, but I'll have to play around with the amount of whey needed to overcome the preservatives in the juice. I suppose I could just crush several pounds of grapes but I really don't want to deal with making and cleaning that much mess.
Yogurt whey...good idea. I suppose that you could use a nut-based yogurt too for that. All that being said, I usually don't have a lot of trouble picking up the wild yeasts when making fermented things. I think that it might have to do with the climate where I live now. I used to live in a very arid place and it was hit and miss when it came to fermenting things, but now, with this Northwest climate, no problem.

~ C