Thread: Home Schooling
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2019, 07:07 AM
sewbizgirl
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cathyvv View Post

I have two grands who are home schooled. Their parents rarely involve the kids in outside of the home activities. One of them is, and always was, extremely shy, but did ok in school, had a few friends. Since he has been home schooled he has basically become a hermit. He does not know how to be around people he doesn't know. He is literally frozen if someone he doesn't know says hello. He's learning his lessons, but has learned nothing about surviving in the world.

His brother has Aspergers and is very bright, also sociable. He visited me to help me in November and I had to make sure he did school work. (snip)
He's afraid of school because he feels he won't be accepted by the other kids. Might be true, but he's never had the opportunity to find out, or figure out how to get along.

So, while they are doing their schooling, I don't consider it a successful endeavor. What good is knowing stuff if you are frightened of the world? I think home schooling can work well for some families, though.
It sounds like the two children you described have issues that would actually be worsened by forcing them to go to school. Anxiety is not cured by throwing the child into the pot. My son had social anxiety and I didn't understand it when he was small. I thought he was just being silly. But the anxiety was real, as I came to find out. Home education was the best thing for him. He has a brilliant mind and still does. He went to college and got his pilot's license. He's had some high level jobs with government security clearance. I think the best upbringing for a child who is "frightened of the world", is to face it with their parents at their side.

Some children are just not emotionally benefited from group education.