Old 05-19-2019, 08:33 AM
Iceblossom

I've tried all sorts of things through the years. I like all the natural sweeteners, honey, maple syrup, etc. etc. I like sweet and I love all carbohydrates, it's my downfall.

I have some dried stevia leaves that I was putting in my tea, you have to develop the amount and timing or else you get an aftertaste.

Last year my doctor and I determined that I can't use any artificial sweeteners. Seems to be all of them... They kill off my gut bacteria and my diet soda habit meant I had chronic diarrhea for a couple of years. Took about 6 weeks and now I'm feeling fine. I can tolerate about 1 diet soda a week, but I have switched to what the hubby calls "non flavored sparkling water" like Buble or LaCroix. I still limit myself to one a day, it's my treat.

Even with my diabetes, my doctor would rather have me use a spoonful of sugar or other basic sugar rather than any artificial sweeteners. For years though I was a tea drinker and I liked it strong, sweet, and with milk. That sort of sets off cravings in me though, so now I drink coffee with milk and no sugar.