View Single Post
Old 05-21-2019, 07:45 AM
linda8450

I have been quilting for about 10 years (sewing for 70 years) and recently had the opportunity to do a repair on my first quilt for my granddaughter. One seam had come undone (not sure I knew what a 1/4" seam was!) so I hand stitched it down and then inspected the whole quilt, more for a learning experience than anything. I had stitched in the ditch in the sashing, around 10" blocks that were cut from a panel and others I had embroidered. I was amazed at how well this quilt held up! It was well loved (washed frequently) by a child and that seam was the only place I had to fix. The embroidery was crude (I was new to that as well) but it isn't raveling or puckered. The quilt is not sagging and not falling apart. I had zig zagged the binding down (horrors!!) because I HATE hand work, but it is holding up well. I expected to see a mess....I hope I have improved in my skills....but I was pleasantly surprised at how well I had done for a newbie and how well the quilt was fairing. Now I quilt closer together (or have it long-armed) but no harm no foul on this one!