Old 05-22-2019, 11:40 AM
Iceblossom

I should mention about the fabrics that I bought a bag of scraps from the Goodwill, some of which are Joann, most of which are Walmart. They were mostly remnants of fat quarters, some were portions of yardage. While I'm not thrilled with a lot of them in terms of color/design, together they made a usable collection of roughly coordinating fabrics. I'm trying to loosen up and be more improvisationable in this project and not my typical OCD style of quilting...

I washed all the fabrics before using and am in the process of of sewing with them now. In general, the Joann fabrics are lighter/flimsier than the Walmart fabrics but in no way are all of the pieces equal. One of the ones I'm certain is from Joann was ok, others usable but on the flimsy side. I'm thinking that the ones clearly marked as Waverly on the selvedge are perhaps used for other products and the leftovers turned into fat quarters, while the fabrics destined for fat quarters is made on a different (lower) quality of greige (raw unprinted cotton) goods.

But yeah, I would use some of those Waverly stripes and polka dots gladly in any quilt I make. Others wouldn't cross my threshold -- either in terms of coming into the house or being used.