View Single Post
Old 05-24-2019, 04:45 AM
PAMAR

I have astigmatisms and dry eyes. I had special lenses (at a cost of $3,000) to correct the astigmatisms and one lens for distance and one for close up.

What I didn't know when I chose the long and short lenses, is that the distance lens has to be pretty much perfect as it is doing all the heavy work for the other eye. Well, unfortunately, mine wasn't perfect. They did PRK surgery (where they scrape the surface of the eye). This was 100xs worse than the cataract surgery. I had to have all the blinds and drapes in my home closed for 3 days. The doctor told me I would hate him for 3 days after the surgery, and he wasn't lying.

My surgery was 3 years ago, and I still can't see 20/20 in my distance eye. We tried a contact lens to bring my distance vision to 20/20. However, because of the uneven surface of my eye, the lens would stay on my eye. I had previously worn contacts for more than 40 years with no problem. Go figure.

If I had it to do over, I would put distance lenses in both eyes and just wear reading glasses to sew and read. So, if you are thinking about the long and short options, I would recommend you discuss the downsides thoroughly with your doctor.

Good luck.