View Single Post
Old 05-26-2019, 08:22 AM
KatyQuilter97

Originally Posted by bkay View Post
I would look around for a free sewing machine that works. They are out there. I've given away three, two of them to strangers. Look on craigslist.org. Look for ads that have been up for a long time and were posted at a low price. Offer $10.00 for them. Make sure they are working, though. Keep you eyes open for one by the side of the road, too. Familiarize yourself with what they look like. Some are in cabinets and some are in carrying cases. Most likely, they will be old. That's even better, in most cases. You can't kill old mechanical machines with a stick. However, make sure it is electric, but not electronic (old electronics die.) and has a foot pedal. You can buy a foot pedal for most, but they are usually about $25.00. Sometimes it will take a clean-up and oiling, but the vintage sewing machine group on this forum will help. (By the way, Singer is the easiest one to get parts for.)

Most people don't sew, so when they end up with mom or grandma's machine, they keep it for a while. They don't use it, then don't want to move it and there's not much demand for old machines. So, what do you do with it? So, ask your friends and acquaintances if they know any one who has an old sewing machine they don't use.

Making a quilt the size you are contemplating without a sewing machine will take a really long time and might not survive the rigors of use and washing. Of course, our fore-mothers made wonderful quilts completely by hand, but they were experienced sewers. Also, they took very good care of them so that they did not have to be washed very often. They were generally not used as bedspreads like we do today, but used like we use blankets, between the sheet and spread.

JMHO

bkay

edit: Actually, I have a machine I'd give away to some deserving college student right now. It would take a few days to finish it up, but it's one of Singer's last all metal machines. (I'm in DFW.) You would have to come pick it up. PM me if you are close enough to pick it up.
Unfortunately I live in Ohio, but I am so unbelievably appreciative of your offer. I for sure will be looking into cheap options on craigslist and the like. But seriously, thank you so much.