Thread: Home Schooling
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2019, 04:03 PM
AngelaS

I homeschool our kids and have since the beginning. I have a bachelor of science in child development, not teaching. We started homeschooling because I knew I could get my oldest off to a good start if she learned to read well. As the years went on, she never wanted to go to school. She liked getting up, doing school and spending the afternoons doing art. My oldest is an art major and just finished her third year at the local state university. She’s maintaining a 3.75 GPA and has earned two art scholarships. She chose the local university over a private school and another college so she could live at home and continue to be involved with her friends and our church. The hardest part of going to college for her? The blatant disrespect for authority and the plethora of uses for the f-bomb.

My younger two are still being homeschooled. One will be a senior and one will be a freshman this fall. How do I teach things I don’t remember? I learn alongside them. I’ve learned more history teaching my own kids than I ever learned in a classroom. My husband teaches all the math after Algebra2. We are not in a coop, because I find them to not be worth it. We have stuff to learn and don’t have time to waste. My middle child did take an advanced biology class another homeschool dad taught and she loved it. She didn’t love some of the disruptive kids in the class tho. Lol

i don’t worry a bit about socialization. My kids will talk to anyone and can carry on conversations with people of all ages, not just their peers. We are very involved in our church, in archery and they have many friends. I’m convinced that they’re getting a far better education in our home than they’d be getting in our gang filled public school here. No thank you.