View Single Post
Old 05-31-2019, 04:29 PM
Genden

Perhaps we should not expect others to love the things we love and appreciate. My mother loved to crochet. Her work was meticulously done, crocheted starched baskets, ribboned and filled with artificial flowers, wreaths and hats starched and decorated to hang on the wall, fans, bells, etc. She insisted I take her work home. I did, but put it away in a closet. It wasn’t my decorating style. They were well done and artistic in their way, but not my taste. My mother passed away last November. I love her dearly, but does that obligate me to keep and display her work to show respect? I am feeling somewhat guilty clearing off the shelves of her crochet work, and disposing of her houseful of her work, but I need the space, I won’t bring more home and it won't keep me from cherishing her memory. To expect that our quilts should be cherished by anyone we give them to may be naive. If we want our quilts to be cherished and respected, they should be given to those we know will love and cherish them and not judge those who don’t. I have a stack of quilts and the first grandchild who says, I love that quilt, grandma. Can I have it sometime? gets it.