Old 06-01-2019, 04:50 PM
cindi

Originally Posted by Kassaundra View Post
For those that have machines that are up in the 10's of thousands especially remember to look at your total coverage for your personal property you may not have enough total coverage. When they calculate how much average $$ the average homeowner has for your size home they don't figure the average person has one item that costs as much as a car, so your machine may be "covered" but if all your belongings including the machine total to $100,000 but you only have a $60,000 policy coverage you are under insured and will not be able to replace your belongings in event of a loss. They don't have riders to cover specifically for expensive sewing machines, but they do have riders that can increase the coverage to your personal property, or other high $$$ belongings that if insured w/ a rider would add $$ to your personal property coverage.(think electronics, guns, jewelry etc)

Also if you have used your expensive machine to quilt for others and charged for it, even if you don't officially have a "business" it won't be covered under your homeowners policy, w/o commercial coverage. They will investigate if there is a loss.

(I am not now and haven't been for many many years, but used to be an insurance agent for allstate)
That was my worry, exactly Kassaundra! I was worried I was underinsured. My agent is getting back to me on what it would cost to increase our homeowners policy by the amount of the sewing machine and longarm since I can’t do a rider for them.

Last edited by cindi; 06-01-2019 at 04:58 PM.