View Single Post
Old 06-04-2019, 02:41 PM
ube quilting
Power Poster

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
I just realized that the seitan burger recipe that I use is probably online, so here it is:

http://www.isachandra.com/2014/02/ch...stylee-seitan/

-I use garlic powder instead of onion powder because I LIKE garlic.
-I prefer not to use that much soy sauce, so I add a little more veggie broth and salt. (It needs to be salty because a lot of salt leaches out when cooking.)
-A 1/2 cup of cooked, peal barley really adds some nice texture to it, as does the garbanzo beans. You can also try adding some minced carrots and celery.
- Have fun with the herbs that you add. I like lots of herbs for flavor.
- I do NOT boil my patties. I shape them, then wrap them in parchment paper and then put them in a steamer to cook until firm. Make the patties very thin because they like to puff up and get too thick when you cook them. If they're too thick, then just slice them in half.
- If your patties come out too rubbery, try adding more garbanzos and other veggies to break up the gluten bonds.
- Cook them in a little bit of olive oil so that they brown nicely.

While I don't like to trick anyone into eating vegan foods, I did forget to tell my kids that these were non-meat patties once and served them up. I don't think that anyone even knew.

~ C

PS: The author of this recipe, Isa Chandra Moskowitz is a well loved, vegan, cookbook writer...I'd say that some would consider her the, "God Mudda of Vegan Cooking."

Thanks so much for this. I like your enthusiasm for eating clean. Been a vegan since before it was a word. Will try your burger recipe too. Thanks so much. I'm always looking to try different stuff.