View Single Post
Old 06-10-2019, 09:53 AM
Rhonda Lee

Default Playing with scraps, can be fun.

Just thought I'd share a fun scrap project.
I've been pushing myself to finish another "The Square Dancers" quilt and it is finished. 3 done 2 more to go. Won't go into detail because I've already done so before. This has been a work in progress for about 5 or 6 years! Because of the intenseness of this I needed a time out and have been playing with 5"x2" scraps.
I've previously sewn 3 strips together with a light one in the middle and either dark or medium on the sides. Today I've sewn 4 sets together alternating the placement by having the first one horizontal and 2nd one vertical, and visa versa on the 2nd row of the block. This is a very easy rail fence pattern. The name is Roman Square Quilt by Janet Wickell on About.com quilting.

There are two other patterns I've cut scraps for but I'll save those to share for a later date.
I always have precut scraps and some sort of pattern in mind to use them and have them available in a stack to sew intermittingly in between projects, leader enders, for sleepless nights, to get me going etc.
I'm very surprised how quickly the blocks are to make and love how its coming together. I do not brown bag scrap quilt. I love to check for complementary colors that work well with each other and sew them together creating a pleasant looking combination. (for me anyway). This will end up being a fun quilt and I'm happy that the use of scraps can be so rewarding. Happy scraping to those of you who enjoy this use of fabrics!