Old 06-14-2019, 07:13 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

Unlike most, I do not use Italian Plum varieties in my sauce. I just think the flavor is not as robust as the flavor in the globe varieties of tomatoes. I may include some Italian plum tomatoes and my greenhouse uses some import from Italy, I don't know what they are but I rarely buy them. I usually do a mix of tomatoes every year but my absolute favorite is the Hybrid "Big Boy" and they are always in my garden. But I don't use that exclusively, it is just the predominant variety I use. I always have a mix of tomato varieties in my sauce (and garden) including some heirloom varieties and beefsteak varieties. Because these varieties tend to be a much juicier and/or seedier than the plum/roma type tomatoes, I don't use the machine for peeling and seeding as it makes things way too watery. I peel by blanching the ripe tomatoes in boiling water for about 15 seconds. Once peeled I cut them in half to seed them then strain the chopped tomatoes. I prefer a chunk style sauce to the smooth puree. Yes it is a ton of work but to me it is worth it. My home canned sauce is bright and fresh tasting. I also save the juice I strain out and freeze it or can it (depending on my freezer space). It makes the best bloody Mary and is so wonderful added to soups, stews and braised meats like pot roast.