Old 06-16-2019, 05:45 PM
ccthomas

Janome 8900 Question on the AcuFeed. I don't have a dealer; she closed shop after I bought this machine. It has been a guessing game learning each feature after viewing the video and manual. I know to use the hook to engage. When I did a google search, it shows 9400 and it shows a setting icon to engage the Acufeed as a second step. Is there a setting on the Janome 8900 in addition to the hook engaged?

Originally Posted by PatriceJ View Post
No disrespect to other brands, but for me - when it comes to sewing - it's Janome for sure!

The newer version of Acufeed is fabulous. It's on all the machines made after the Horizon 7700.
you just attach the adapter and then the different Acufeet snap on and off that.
It is far superior to Brother/Babylock for sewing over lumpy seams (e.g. where several seams join at the center of a star.)
I never use the "regular" feet. Acufeed all the time.

I also have an 8900 but wanted something a bit smaller for sewing away from home.
I had planned to sell it after upgrading to the Brother Dream Machine2. Unfortunately, as fantastic as it is for most sewing and all embroidery, the BDM2 (and every other Brother or Babylock I have ever tried) simply does not perform well when it gets to a lumpy seam ... such as you get when several seams come together at the center of a star.
so, i held onto the 8900 for those times i did not want to fight my way over lumps.
I had even started using it as my "away" machine instead of my much small Brother because it's just so much better all around for sewing.

I just picked up a Skyline S9 yesterday. It's slightly smaller than the 8900 (which is good for "away") and packed with everything i love about the 8900 plus more. It also has an embroidery unit that's a lot easier to attach, carry, and store. The embroidery features are not as advanced or sophisticated as on the BDM2, but that's to be expected. (the BDM2 costs 4 times as much, so it had better have more bells and whistles. lol)
(Like the S9, the S7 offers a setting that automatically raises the presser foot when you stop sewing. That's a feature that spoiled me rotten on my BDM2.)

so, with any luck i will be able to re-home everything except my BDM2 and have all the bases covered at home, and most of them covered "away."

i am a happy camper!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-17-2019 at 02:38 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps