Thread: Scraps, ugh!!
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2019, 12:50 AM
Moira in N.E. England

Oh how I envy my US quilting sisters’ scraps problem! To have so much space and such a selection of fabrics to choose from must be wonderful!

My sewing room is small and my entire fabric ‘collection’ would probably fit into 10 of Duster’s shoe boxes.

Most of the things I make are for charity - I donate to Project Linus and a local cancer charity. Working with a limited budget I tend to only buy enough of a particular fabric to complete that project. Even so I still end up with small scraps that I can’t bear to throw away.

At the moment I’m on a mission to use up as many of my scraps as I can. Sometimes I just get bored with the fabrics that I have - then it’s time for a purge. I’m making cushions from fat quarters and yardage remnants - they will go to the local cancer charity. Any left-over pieces of binding I find will be added to a scrappy binding for future use. Small pieces from jelly rolls go into a box to make house blocks for a small child’s quilt. I’m also cutting fabric into 5 inch squares and will make HST from them. There might be enough for a colourful lap quilt. Those little pieces that are left over will be thrown out.

Happy sewing folks!