View Single Post
Old 06-17-2019, 06:42 AM
Macybaby

I don't feel that way about my stash - but I sure feel that way about my sewing machine collection. It was also part "therapy" for me as I did most of that while my mother and then MIL were in their final stages. We found out right after my mother passed (long illness) that MIL had brain cancer - she was gone 6 months later.

I met a lot of very nice people while collecting sewing machines, and shared a lot of stories of the relatives that had owned the machines - as most often I was buying them from the "heirs". Lots of talking about final illnesses and dealing with those issues. And I know I was able to give some people and outlet for their grief, and a bit of closure for them in letting go of their grandmother/mother's beloved sewing machine, even though most of the time it had not been used in 30 years.

I know my kids could easily donate the fabric and it would end up going to good use. 150 cast iron antique/vintage sewing machines are not near as easy to rehome. But I'm 58 so I hope to get that number way down by the time I retire.