View Single Post
Old 06-17-2019, 04:47 PM
Butterfli19

Did you see my other post on building up a stash? When I saw this post I remembered this was one reason why I pared mine down. I also had books and supplies from various other crafts, so I donated quite a bit to the local nursing home and the books to the local library for the book fair. It haunted me to have all that around, like it was lonely and calling me to use it and I couldn't take it anymore. I figured someone else may benefit from it so out it went.

I then wondered how I had accumulated this and that and realized that maybe my buying was a coping mechanism, a sort of control over buying/returning when other aspects of my life weren't very pleasant. Now that I realize that, I try to ask myself if I really really need this "thing". Sometimes I just fall in love with something and have to have it, but those things are usually small in cost, like less than $20.

I'm also a very introverted person and have no real friends, so the social aspect of joining forums and hearing everyone's excitement and enthusiasm over creating makes me want to as well, but then I wonder if it's that that I need or do I really want to sew?

I would also like to retire next year at 62, probably won't happen but nice to think about, so I am now trying to pay off debt and keep it that way. Some unexpected expenses of course, but every little bit I don't spend stays in my account and not someone elses, so with that ahead it's easier to not spend on every little thing I think I should buy.

I guess we have to come into our own truth, and decide why we do what we do, and ask ourselves if it really is what we need or if it's just what we do.